While on one end is the world’s widespread shopping platform, on the other side is the young and challenging platform that is rising year by year. Both MAGENTO and PRESTASHOP platforms take its role wonderful when it comes to user-friendliness and easy operable aspect. Illustrated in this post are the differences and resemblances of both these platforms
Magento, being an ultimate feature-rich and professional platform gives merchants an absolute flexibility and control over design, content and running of an online store. The platform is great when it comes to powerful marketing, catalog management and search engine optimization. Magento was launched in the year 2001 and has recently made a partnership with eBay purposely to enhance the growing community of Magento developers. It also holds a best technical support team, which has been appreciated by various sources.
Prestashop, an excellent open source eCommerce platform has got its basic offering for free. Having launched officially in August 2007, PrestaShop makes use of the Smarty template engine for PHP. It is available in more than 40 languages in various degrees, while English and French has got complete support in all release versions. PrestaShop doesn’t provide an official support team, but users can rely on the PrestaShop forum for support or clarifications. There are also some compatibility issues with the following versions of PHP: 5.2.1, 5.2.6, 5.2.9, and anything less than 5.2.
Magento Vs Prestashop
- The system requirements of Prestashop is less when compared to Magento. Also, Magento is free from all the compatible issues faced by Prestashop.
- Installing Prestashop is very simple and easy, but it does not have the same out-of-the-box features as that of Magento.
- Prestashop has highlighted its search capabilities right from the beginning, while Magento has taken the thing less serious.
- The installation requirements of Prestashop depends on the GD library of PHP, while Magento requires many extensions like PDO, CURL, etc. for installation.
- Magento has got a plenty of themes and extensions than Prestashop.
- Magento is more into building large-scale eCommerce store, while Prestashop is fully small-scale based.
- Both Magento & Prestashop platforms are available under Open Software License (OSL).
- Prestashop, though being an excellent platform, blunders for not having a community for users, while it is the immensely successful official support that makes Magento so popular.
- Prestashop is easy to customize. However, there aren’t lot more options to customize.
- The SEO features of Magento are all-time popular when compared to other platforms.
- PrestaShop software is much smaller (in MBs and files) than Magento.
- When it comes to functionalities, it is the wish list, customer groups, product comparison, RSS feed and TAG that standalone in Magento eCommerce. In addition, you can also manage multiple e-stores via single admin. On the other side, Prestashop also has its own unique features like statistics, shipping tracking and membership.
- Payment and shipping modules in Prestashop is not so convincing as in Magento.
- Magento adopts Zend framework whereas Prestashop adopts Smarty template engine based on PHP5.
- Prestashop search is better and fast when compared to Search in Magento.
- Magento is more SEO friendly than Prestashop.
- Magento Community have 130,000 members, Prestashop have 30000 members Community.