Are you planning to create an OTT streaming app for your brand and business? We found excellent OTT app builders that let you build an OTT app for What’s the best one for your project and what features and functionality they include to give you an idea of what to expect when you choose an OTT app development service.
Consider the fact that the OTT market is projected to grow from 121.61 billion USD in 2019 to 1.039 trillion USD in 2027. On average, we consume 38 hours of video a month, i.e. almost an entire workweek in a month that is spent watching streaming content!
All of this underscores the need to seriously evaluate adding an OTT offering to your services if you are in the business of any kind of content.
In today’s article, we will explore what OTT Apps are, what features make them so important, key features you should definitely incorporate when building an OTT streaming app, and finally, our pick of the top 6 OTT app builders for you to evaluate! Let’s dive in.
OTT Apps: What are they?
The term OTT platform has become commonplace now. It stands for Over the Top content stream directly to OTT devices over the internet without the need for intermediary equipment like traditional cable TV does. OTT content can be audio, video, VoIP, or even messaging.
Some examples of the best and well-known OTT platforms are Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video for video content, Spotify and Amazon Music for Audio, Skype, and WhatsApp for VoIP and WhatsApp and Viber for messaging.
All of these offer different apps that are optimized for the device they will be streaming content on, whether a browser, phone, tablet, or television. These apps that stream OTT content are called OTT apps.
Benefits of OTT App For Your Video Streaming Business
It might seem that investing in building your own OTT tv app could be a drain on resources. When weighed against the multiple benefits while creating your OTT app offers, you will see, the benefits outweigh the cons! Some of the benefits of OTT apps are:
– Increased Viewership:
As per a report, video viewing will constitute 82% of all internet traffic by 2022! Imagine the implications for your business and the opportunity lost if you do not get on that 82%!
– Better Connect with Customers:
Since content on OTT apps is personalized and fuelled by individual choices, it offers you a chance to connect on a deeper level with your customers on a more personal level.
– Increased Profits:
With most customers moving to OTT apps for their media needs, an OTT app platform provides more avenues for revenue than traditional cable tv. This helps in a better profit margin for you!
Key Features To Look For in OTT App Development:
While OTT apps can be as feature-rich or threadbare as you would like, there are some key features that are absolutely necessary to create an OTT app. Some of them are:
- Search Function: Having a search function easily accessible to users helps them search for the content they want to watch and increases usability and access.
- Personalized Profile: Since the USP of OTT apps is personalized content, it is important for the app to contain a feature that allows users to personalize their profile. This not only helps them feel connected, but it also helps you personalize content for individual users based on profile and usage history.
- Watchlist feature: The world of OTT videos is huge. Allowing users to add an item to their list of videos to watch later helps them find it easily and come back to it at leisure.
- Social Media Sharing: Seeing how Social Media has taken over the world, allowing users the option to share what they are watching on social media through your app will give you greater visibility.
- Screen mirroring: It is not always easy to watch videos on small screens. Giving users the option to cast to a larger screen will give them the option to continue watching content without straining their eyes.
- Multilingual content: When you are looking at expanding your userbase and catering to a global audience, it is important to ensure that you cater to diverse demography. Having multilingual content will help build brand loyalty with a varied and diverse group of consumers.
- In-app purchases(Optional): There are various ways to capitalize on viewership on an OTT app. One of those ways is to have a pay-per-view or a subscription model. For either of these, enabling users to make purchases within the app makes it a seamless and hassle-free experience for users in turn leading to better customer retention.
List of Top 6 OTT App Builders to Launch Your Own OTT Apps For Your Business
Now that we have looked extensively at some must-have features, let’s look at our pick of the top 6 OTT app development companies that can help you get your app up and running.
The Perfect Solution For World-Class OTT App Development
VPlayed by Contus is a feature-rich, highly customizable app builder that can get your OTT app out the door quickly and efficiently. They offer a plethora of customizable features and pricing options making it easy for you to pick and choose your own bouquet of offerings. In addition, VPlayed provides end-to-end development support as well as multiple monetization options helping you achieve your financial goals too.
Some of the features they offer are:
- In-App notification
- Paywall Integration
- Offline Viewing
- Live Streaming
- Bulk Upload
- Support for multiple video formats
- Detailed Video Analytics
Get Your Free Demo Here
#2 Vimeo OTT
Leading OTT App Builder With Seamless Streaming Functionalities
Vimeo OTT has a user base of more than 5M+ end users. This gives them a breadth of experience to work from. They offer customizable solutions that start from as little a 1$ per subscriber and can also do custom pricing plans based on your needs. They offer in-house support meaning you don’t have to hire a separate support team.
Some of their handy features are:
- Live Streaming
- Branded Apps
- 24×7 support
- In-depth Analytics
- Simple pricing plans
- Live polls
- Audience Chat
#3 Maz Systems
One of the best choices for OTT TV App Development Service
Used by a lot of popular companies for their OTT needs like Cosmopolitan and Harvard Business Review, Maz systems is another good choice for your OTT app needs. They provide both AVOD and SVOD subscription models. They also claim to be able to get your apps up and running 150% faster to market than other providers. With custom pricing based on your needs.
Maz offers a bouquet of features including:
- Multi-format support including email and phone support
- Customisable templates
- Custom Analytics
- Cross-Platform functionalities
- No code app building platform
- Multiple monetization modes
- All-inclusive monthly fee
- Aesthetically pleasing templates and designs
Top OTT App Development Company To Create Video Streaming Apps
Builder.ai is another simple but powerful OTT builder that helps you get up and off the ground with minimal coding. They have templates that you can choose from to help design your app easier. For example, in case you want a feel similar to Netflix, they offer a template that you can select, add or remove features and in addition have their team customize it further if required.
They offer multiple features like:
- Apps for multi-device
- Multilingual content support
- Watch Offline
- Smart Search
- Categorised Content
Great Platform to Build OTT Streaming App With Right Features Set
Vidapp is an OTT solution that helps you get your app going. However, they need you to have your own website or video hosted somewhere else. Vidapp offers both annual and monthly pricing plans as well as custom plans based on your needs. In addition, they offer support as well to iron out the niggles you might face.
Some features they offer are:
- Automated Push Notifications
- Daily Journal
- Smart Search
- Filter Options
- Custom Playlists
- Secure Downloads
- Modular templates
- Monthly Calendar
Easy Way to Create & Distribute Your Content Through OTT Apps
Uscreen has been one of the leading players in the OTT app builder market for years now. They have all features covered at pricing that starts at 99$ per month. They allow significant personalization allowing you to align your app with our brand’s look and feel. They too don’t need any coding or third-party tools for distribution.
Some of the key features of Uscreen are:
- Branded apps
- Detailed analytics
- Centralised CMS (Content Management System)
- Supports Apple Watch App
- Play Audio while the phone is locked
- Apps for all platforms
- Offline Viewing
The way to grab eyeballs is to get on the OTT train. The writing on the wall is quite clear on that. This guide is a good starting point to look at the features you want to offer on your OTT tv app and the OTT app development company that best suits your needs. Reviewing what they offer and balancing them with your budget will help you make the right call.
Once you have that narrowed down, you’re ready to ride the OTT wave!