This blog will discuss everything about streaming apps, how to create video streaming app from scratch, and finally, the 10 best platforms to build your own video streaming app. Stick around as we explore.
The viewership of conventional television is shrinking fast. Meanwhile, OTT platforms and video streaming apps are fast replacing satellite-based televisions.
So, what facilitated this transformation?
There are two major driving forces behind this transition to the rise of video streaming app development.
One is high-speed internet at affordable costs.
Two, internet-powered smartphones’ affordability.
Did you know?
- By 2027, the market of live video streaming apps is anticipated to be worth $184. 3 Billion – (Businesswire)
- In Spain and Austria, Video and TV streaming consumption increased by more than 40%, while Germany had a 32% increase. (Statista)
- Forecasts indicate that live videos will account for 82% of internet usage by 2022, suggests whatsnewinpublishing.com
- In 2025, the market for video streaming apps is expected to be worth $50 Billion. (Fact.MR)
Internet penetration and affordable smartphones have laid a strong foundation for video streaming app.
Video streaming apps leverage the internet to deliver content directly to users and provide a buffer-free streaming experience.
Working on the principles of ” on-demand content,” the online video streaming platform has a significant advantage over the traditional cable subscription as it provides users more autonomy to watch their favorite content without any time or place restrictions.
Video-on-demand (VOD) mobile applications are online video platforms that allow users to stream their favorite content from a pool/library without any restrictions on ‘when’ and ‘where’ they can access the content.
The users need to install the Video streaming apps and choose a video subscription service plan based on what type of content they want to watch.
There is a growing demand for video content by internet users worldwide. You can assess it from the fact that the mobile Video streaming app category on the app store witnessed a massive surge in the number of apps available for download.
The figures for Android video streaming apps are even higher as Android dominates the share of mobile markets worldwide, approximately 74% of the overall share.
Recommended Read: What is Video Streaming & How Does It Work?
Top 10+ Best Platforms To Develop A Video Streaming App in 2024
- VPlayed – The #1 Solution to Build a Video Streaming App
- GUDSHO – A Premium Online Video Platform For Brands & Creators
- Dacast – A Professional Platform to Create Video Streaming App
- Muvi – Path To Launch a Video Streaming App Instantly
- Panopto – Elevate Your Content Top Video Streaming App Builder
- Brightcove – One-Stop Destination to Create, Launch, and Thrive with Your Video Streaming App.
- IBM Cloud – Empower Your Vision With a Video Streaming App for Android & iOS
- Vimeo OTT – Create a Video Streaming App That Connects, Entertains, and Inspires!
- Zype – Craft, Innovate, and Make Your Video Streaming App for Boundless Possibilities
- Wowza – Your Gateway to Building a Feature-Rich Video Streaming App
- Kaltura – Journey to Creating the Perfect Video Streaming App Experience
How To Build A Video Streaming App In 6 Steps?
Creating a video streaming app involves six crucial steps. This section will exclusively focus on the six steps of building a robust video streaming app in 2024.
- Step 1: Identify Your Target Audience
- Step 2: Dive into Market and Competitor Insights
- Step 3: Craft a Winning Content Strategy
- Step 4: Secure Content Rights
- Step 5: Choose the Right Monetization Model
- Step 6: App Development & Deployment
Step 1: Identify Your Target Audience
Cracking the code for a successful video streaming app begins with a deep dive into your audience — understanding their pain points and desires.
First, identify the who – age, gender, and more. Explore the what – their interests and viewing habits. This intel is your compass to craft content that truly resonates with your audience.
You can also dive into surveys and understand precious audience insights — a 360° view of their preferences, pain points, and viewing quirks.
Step 2: Dive into Market and Competitor Insights
When building your video streaming app, in-depth research is your compass.
You can start by dissecting the current video streaming landscape. Scrutinize existing services – understand their offerings, pricing, and how they make money.
Next, go hunting for gaps in the market. Seek the openings where your app can shine.
Now, it’s game time. Analyze your rivals’ strengths and vulnerabilities. This intel is gold; use it to shape your unique selling points for your streaming app.
And never hit pause on staying in the know – keep an eye on the latest trends, tech, and features in the online video streaming arena.
Step 3: Craft a Winning Content Strategy
All successful video streaming apps have one thing in common — a winning content strategy.
Here’s your playbook for creating a killer content strategy:
- Define Your Content: Nail down the content you’ll serve up. Will it be original, licensed, or a mix of both?
- Source It Right from the Right Player: Determine where you’ll scoop up this content. Keep a keen eye on the sources – they matter.
- Spread the Word: Plan how you’ll dish out the content. It’s all about distribution.
In the content game, balance is key. Blend live and on-demand streaming seamlessly, and don’t skimp on those exclusive content deals. Dive into the hearts and minds of your audience. Identify their favorite genres, languages, and formats.
Why? Because attention spans are shorter than ever these days.
And don’t overlook regional preferences – what works in one place might not in another. Your content strategy should be as diverse as your audience’s tastes.
Step 4: Secure Content Rights
Building a streaming app begins with acquiring essential licenses and rights for legal content streaming. It entails acquiring reproduction, distribution, and display rights for your app.
Yet, the rights acquisition process can be complex and time-consuming. Prudent planning and budgeting are critical.
Furthermore, a legal team is a must-have. They’ll navigate you through the labyrinth of creating a video streaming website/app legalities and copyright regulations.
Step 5: Choose the Right Monetization Model
To recoup your upfront video streaming app development expenses, nail down the ideal OTT monetization model that fits your business goals and target audience.
Options abound – from subscription-based models to advertising, pay-per-view, and beyond. It’s smart to kick things off with a free trial period or a mix of free and paid content to reel in users and pocket some earnings. But don’t stop there. Get adventurous with various monetization approaches. And, crucially, analyze their performance to refine your monetization strategy over time.
Remember, when it comes to monetizing your streaming app, adaptability is key.
Step 6: App Development & Deployment
The home stretch – building and launching your video streaming app with a laser focus on user satisfaction, performance, and scalability.
Your dream team includes video streaming app developers, designers, and quality assurance experts.
The top priorities should be
- User-First Design: Craft an intuitive, user-friendly interface for a seamless experience.
- Streamlined Streaming: Integrate with content delivery networks to ensure smooth video delivery.
- Fortify Security: Implement robust protection with multi-DRM solutions and AES encryption.
- Link Up: Connect with third-party services like payment gateways, analytics tools, and social networks.
- MVP & Feedback: Develop a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and gather user feedback for fine-tuning before your big debut.
With these steps, you can create video streaming app that is primed for success.
What Are The Key Features To Create Video Streaming App?
This is a make-or-break decision. So, finalizing features should be right on top of your priority list.
But how do you narrow down your feature list?
Some of the best online video platforms are dynamic enough to adapt to the ever-changing needs of the users.
It should offer a simple and intuitive user interface that allows anyone to easily access their preferred content without scratching their heads.
So let’s explore some must-have features to help you deliver the best user experience.
1. Profile Access
It is one of the fundamental features of creating a video streaming app. It should help the users register and make their profile easy to access the saved content and create their watch list.
In addition, it helps to deliver a personalized experience to the users.
2. Push Notification
Push notifications are the most underrated features ever!
They allow you to send your users important updates and marketing communication in real time.
So better user engagement and traffic for your online VOD platform.
3. Content Categories
So, this feature segregates different types of content in respective sections.
So your users can quickly access the desired content without spending much time finding it.
It helps to improve the navigation and adds to the excellent user experience quotient.
4. Multi-language Support
The third important feature your application must have is ‘Multi-language support’; your application should offer the same content in multiple languages to entertain a global audience; don’t let language be a barrier for people to enjoy your content.
5. In-app Purchase
Adding value to the visitors is an excellent way to increase your revenue. In addition, it helps provide additional features for minimal fees that benefit users.
Think of in-app purchases like upsells for your video streaming app.
5. Video Monetization
Multiple video monetization platform allow creators and broadcasters to choose a reliable monetization method for revenue generation.
6. Real-Time Analytics
Data-driven real-time analytics helps gather valuable data and get insights related to your audience.
It can help you improve by creating content your audience likes to watch based on the engagement stats. It will also help you avoid general mistakes.
7. Payment Gateway
Payment getaways help you collect payments from users based on their subscription plans.
Your platform should offer multiple payment methods to cater to a diverse audience.
It should not restrict them with limited options; it should accept payment methods such as debit cards, credit cards, net banking, digital wallets, etc.
Your video streaming app should be reliable enough to deliver a glitch-free experience to the users.
In addition, your video streaming app should be free from technical issues.
It would help if you always opted for solution providers that offer global or multi–Content Delivery Networks (CDN) and low-latency video streaming. It provides an uninterrupted experience even at low internet speed.
Cyber theft is a significant challenge for online solution providers in the digital era. Therefore, your app should deliver a secure video streaming experience to all your users and not compromise privacy standards.
Strong encryption and digital rights management systems will help protect the copyright of content on your platform and limit illegal distribution.
Customization plays a significant role in delivering a personalized experience to users. As a result, personalization plays a substantial role in the growth and success of your video streaming app.
11. Beneficial Features
Your iOS or Android video streaming app developer should offer all the essential features for a world-class streaming platform.
From content management systems to integration and monetization options, you should evaluate all features your service provider provides before deciding.
Some essential features you must check include video editing tools, a search bar, a customizable video player, captioning and translation tools, social media connect, video marketing & analytics, etc.
Top 10+ Best Platforms To Create A Video Streaming App in 2024
Discover some of the best platforms to create a video streaming app in 2024 are VPlayed, Dacast, Muvi, Panopto, Brightcove, IBM Cloud, Vimeo OTT, etc…
The #1 Solution to Build a Video Streaming App
- 100% Customization
- On-premise or On-cloud Hosting
- Multiple Video Monetization Models
- Stream via HLS Video Player
VPlayed offers a feature-rich solution for creating the best online video platforms that are also very dynamic. It provides the maximum customization – the most customizable platform – by offering you custom UI/UX designs, powerful CMS, 9+ monetization models, and a global CDN.
The entire video streaming app is built – from scratch to finish – at 50% faster deployment and implementation.
VPlayed empowers you with professional-grade cloud video streaming platforms with 150+ features to carve your niche and dominate the streaming industry.
Key Features Of VPlayed’s Video Streaming App Includes:
- 100% customizable white-label streaming app.
- Platform integration, either on-premise or on-cloud hosting facility
- Super-smooth 4k, FHD video playback with HTML5 Video Player (HLS Streaming)
- Seamless video management with video CMS
- Multi-DRM platform for licensed content management
- AES encryption for security
- Sacel faster with 9+ monetization models
- Data-driven OTT analytics to read audience better
“A Premium Online Video Platform For Brands & Creators”
If you need a live or on-demand video streaming platform that does more than just streaming, then GUDSHO is the right place for you. Because it is an epitome of exclusive feature suites like CMS, hosting, and analytics that may help brands and professionals create a custom solution and boost fan base like never before.
Just not that, its SaaS-based model also makes it convenient for several mid-scale creators to competitively deliver buffer-free streaming to audiences.
And as we talk about latency, it uses the CDN technology with adaptive frame bitrate to grab the audience’s attention.
Key Features Of GUDSHO’s Video Streaming App Includes:
- Flexible to view videos from any platforms because of its high compatibility
- Allows creators to keep track of their performance with the Video Analytics feature
- Lets brands and individuals easily set up channels by drag and drop option
- The embed code functionality makes it easy to upload videos on any website or platform.
- Numerous monetization models to draw revenue to the fullest.
- Supports customizing subscriptions to a select set of viewer base.
- Akamai-based CDNs make it possible to deliver buffer-free and 4k streaming quality to users.
A Professional Platform to Create Video Streaming App
Dacast streaming offers an easy way to create a video streaming app for Android or iOS.
It provides Software Development Kits (SDKs) for Android and iOS, simplifying the development process for the whole mobile market.
In addition, the streaming app provider of Dacast ensures you have extensive video hosting infrastructure and a compatible live streaming facility.
These Software Development Kits (SDKs) help you efficiently build and test your mobile applications before submitting them on the app or play store. Moreover, it takes care of all essential features such as analytics, monetization, and security of your application.
If Dacast users may always talk to anyone about their business growth and its successful ventures, then all thanks & credit goes to their 24/7 support.
Key Features Of Dacast’s Streaming App Includes:
- Reliant and flawless events that are conducted live with top CDNs
- Seamless video streaming with a highly-secured and unified platform
- Ensure streams are under low latency & buffer-free via HTML5 player
- Crucial live encoding support for real-time content delivery
- 3rd party player integration with a wide range of system compatibility
- Multi-bitrate streaming at adaptable internet connection speeds
Path To Launch a Video Streaming App Instantly
If you are wondering how to create an Android app tv app easily and deliver a great streaming experience to your Android users, Muvi should be your go-to option.
Muvi takes a holistic approach to build a video streaming app for Android users. It allows you to create, deploy, launch, and maintain a branded, customized Android video streaming application from scratch.
Muvi provides a white-labeled platform to meet all your video streaming demands quickly. It also builds tailor-made smart TV applications to enhance your audience’s viewing experience. So whether you want to launch a video-on-demand, live streaming, or a live TV application, Muvi will help you.
Key Features Of Muvi’s Video Streaming App Includes:
- Create easy-to-use, intuitive apps to engage viewers
- Enterprise-grade Security with Multi-DRM protocol
- Content monetization models like AVOD, SVOD, etc
- Seamless Integration with API & SDKs for enhanced UX
- Real-time analytics to track the performance of your content
- Backed by AWS cloud front CDN making streams latent-free
- HTML5-based online video player that’s totally customizable
Elevate Your Content Top Video Streaming App Builder
A video streaming app in your pocket. That’s what Panopto is all about. Panopto’s unique mobile video platform instantly records, schedules, searches, and shares videos.
With Panopto, you can build an application with an HTML5 video player and a customizable video layout. In addition, it provides an easy OTT TV app development solution for both your iOS and Android users with exclusive features such as automatic app detection.
Panopto serves an audience of 10 Million users and has been associated with the streaming industry since 2007. In 2017, they successfully introduced 360° and VR video support aided with speech recognition in 9 languages, which later partnered with Zoom in August month of the same year.
Here Are Some Best Features Of Panopto:
- Video management with ready-made LMS for education
- Top video conferencing solutions with built-in streaming software
- Lecture capture with recorded video courses anywhere
- Employee onboarding with new hire tutorial videos
- Professionally organize live & record town halls, speeches, etc
- Remote working with media-based meeting intelligence solutions
One-Stop Destination to Create, Launch, and Thrive with Your Video Streaming App.
Brightcove offers an instant app-building solution by providing features such as Software Development Kits (SDKs), intelligent device detection, mobile-ready encoding, etc.
You can launch a robust mobile application for multiple Operating Systems (OS) with little to no coding knowledge. You will also have access to complete documentation and developer articles in the cloud support center section that you can use to accelerate your app development process.
In addition, Brightcove has some scintillating features that allow content users to overcome ad blockers and deliver appealing promotional video content to its viewers, resulting in higher customer conversion rates.
Key Features Of Brightcove’s Includes:
- OTT Video monetization models for every industry
- Superior video marketing with top-class advertising tools
- Live streaming facilities with profound marketing features
- Customizability to add on any upgraded USPs, functionalities
- Video analytics for in-depth insights of user preferences
- Reliable technical support with Video CMS, CRM integrations
- Frameworks for sophisticated content security on the top tier
6. IBM Cloud Media
Empower Your Vision With a Video Streaming App for Android & iOS
IBM Cloud Media is a business-oriented OTT video hosting and streaming app. Its powerful video solution is jam-packed with features and functionality intended primarily for large-scale operations, and it supports both live streaming and VOD.
Also, the platform helps you generate consistent revenue by improving overall engagement, from live streaming to auto-archiving as on-demand videos.
Highlighted Features Of IBM Cloud Media’s Includes:
- Online video content monetization with white-labeling capabilities
- Content delivery server with in-built CDN support
- Expert video security with password-protected channels
- Streaming with monetization models like PPV, SVOD, AVOD, etc
- AI-driven captioning for live streaming services
- Quality of video service player with clickable video overlays
- Mobile compatibility across devices with real-time video analytics solution
7. Vimeo OTT
Create a Video Streaming App That Connects, Entertains, and Inspires!
Vimeo OTT debuted its video streaming in 2004, allowing content aggregators and artists to generate stunning videos and display their artwork.
The platform caters to every audience needing video viewing requirements and offers a feature-rich video player that can be customized according to the business needs.
In addition, this online video streaming app powerful content management, analytics, and monetization tools.
The platform provides a variety of video-related solutions for various strategies and sizes. Creators and organizations can opt for extensive functionality with all the bells and whistles or a simplified plan that meets most of the content owner’s requirements.
In addition, Vimeo OTT was one of the first OTT platforms to support high-definition video streaming.
Key Features Of Vimeo OTT Video Streaming App Includes:
- Post-production and support for global audiences.
- Vimeo’s top CMS makes content storage and management easy.
- Privacy settings can be a valuable resource for keeping video content safe.
- Custom video gallery pages.
- Effective security tools.
- Personalization for on-brand streaming.
Craft, Innovate, and Make Your Video Streaming App for Boundless Possibilities
Since its inception in 2014, Zype has grown rapidly and now supports the video infrastructure of over 300 customers, including well-known brands such as Crunch Fitness, Vox Media, People TV, Xponential Fitness, and America’s Test Kitchen.
Its target niches include fitness, education, media, and entertainment.
In addition, Zype provides a full-stack video platform for building, operating, and growing any OTT video streaming business.
The platform offers an open framework and a set of developer-friendly APIs for creating bespoke video streaming solutions.
Instead of implementing critical video stream app functionality from scratch, developers can leverage a collection of ready-made APIs for video encoding, player management, linear Video, and live streaming.
Key Features Of Zype Includes:
- API endpoints for custom video streaming app development.
- Multi-platform social sharing with multi-screen capability.
- Over 28 pre-made video connectors with leading OTT/CTV distribution channels.
- Content categorization with search/filter options
- Native integration with over 1000 major SaaS platforms.
- Enterprise-grade video CMS software with faster, automated workflows.
- Customizable branding with the white-labeling feature.
Your Gateway to Building a Feature-Rich Video Streaming App.
Wowza is a dedicated OTT platform designed for professional broadcasting. Furthermore, the technology lets you stream live content without buffers or interruptions.
Wowza enables broadcasters to create highly customized streaming workflows using third-party integrations, APIs, and other advanced features.
This platform is well-known for its scalability and cutting-edge streaming infrastructure.
Wowza’s streaming technology allows broadcasters to provide buffer-free content to various devices. The platform also supports virtual reality, 360-degree films, and ultra-high-definition streaming (4K).
Key Features Of Wowza Includes:
- The platform gives streamers access to full platform API and SDK.
- Plenty of customization options and opportunities for third-party integrations.
- High-level security features.
- Transcoding in real-time.
- Stream content to any device from anywhere.
- Captions can be added to any live stream.
- Wowza’s solution incorporates cloud transcoding, which means broadcasters won’t need any encoding hardware to get started.
Journey to Creating the Perfect Video Streaming App Experience.
Kaltura provides live and on-demand video solutions to businesses all around the world.
It can connect teams to their advanced platform for any sort and size of meeting, from online training to executive communications.
Regarding live events, Kaltura shines; it allows you to broadcast live events to any screen and control or access them later using its administration console. In addition, the platform enables one to create, manage, and measure insights into the events.
With Kaltura, you can hold virtual meetings with any number of attendees. Its powerful analytics capabilities for VOD and live streaming allow you to monitor the performance of your videos in real-time. Furthermore, it has a cloud platform ready for TV shows, allowing you to meet all your video-streaming needs.
Key Features Of Kaltura Includes:
- Adaptive video streaming with several bitrates.
- Total video and player API access.
- Customizable templates.
- Monetization alternatives (SVOD, AVOD, and TVOD) via integrations.
- Options for authentication and encryption to improve security.
- Customizable layouts for easier live broadcasting.
Suppose you’re looking for a reliable provider to build a secure and customizable video streaming application. In that case, you can consider the above-mentioned options and select the one that fits your requirements and budget.
However, those who want to – not lease – build a self-hosted, fully-customized video streaming app should consider VPlayed seriously.
Most of the platforms are merely online video players.
Or, they are platforms that offer neither extensive customization nor lifetime ownership.
VPlayed is the only video streaming app that provides the best video streaming platforms with lifetime ownership.
It operates on a ‘ Buy once, owns forever’ basis – you buy the platform and enjoy ownership forever.
If You Already Have An Idea To Build A Video Streaming App, Schedule A Free Demo And We’ll Get You On The Road To Video Streaming Success
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Building a video streaming app like Netflix can be challenging, especially if you aim to match its vast content library and user experience. However, you can make a basic video streaming app, expecting immediate consumer interaction, it is very much possible. But, replicating Netflix’s success needs meticulous planning, a robust content strategy, exceptional user experience, and substantial investment in content acquisition and development.
The key features needed to build a video streaming app include customization, adaptable platform deployment options, a robust video player, built-in video analytics, end-to-end encryption, reliable CDNs, etc.
Launching a new branded online video streaming app, delivered as a full-stack SaaP-based solution, typically takes 3-5 working weeks. However, the timeframe can vary based on specific customization requirements and project complexity. Tailoring your video streaming app to meet unique needs may extend the development timeline.
When creating a video streaming app, you must select a technology stack tailored to your company’s unique needs. You can consider factors such as system resilience, stream availability during peak loads, infrastructure maintenance, and secure data storage. The right technology choices are extremely crucial to ensure the success of your video streaming app.