In other words, the video monetization industry is far from reaching its inflection point.In fact, data suggest the industry has yet to hit its peak and is only steadily growing at a healthy pace.
Grand View Research data says the online video monetization platform market was valued at USD 8.09 billion in 2022.
It is projected to witness a robust compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.7% from 2023 to 2030.
Apparently, this leaves us with one question — maybe the most important question.
What are the better online video monetization platforms to monetize your video content in 2024?
How do you choose the best platform among a sea of options?
If that sounds like you, we curated this blog for you. This blog will answer all the questions lingering in your mind.
Let’s get started with the basics.
Top 7 Best Video Monetization Platforms
- VPlayed – A Multi-model OTT Video Monetization Solution
- GUDSHO – A Premium Video Monetization Platforms
- IBM Video Cloud – A Scalable Video Streaming Monetization Platform
- Brightcove – A Globally Reliable Video Monetization Services
- Vimeo OTT – A Long-time Provider in Online Video Monetization Industry
- Dacast – A Leading Video Monetization Specialist
- Muvi – Best Enterprise OTT Platform Monetization Formula
What is Video Monetization?
Simply put, video monetization means earning money from online videos through various channels.
As simple as it may sound, video monetization is a demanding job that requires a series of interrelated skills—shooting, creating, editing and rendering, publishing, optimizing content for search engine visibility, marketing videos via social channels, engaging with the community, and so on.
But how exactly is a video monetized?
A video can be monetized by one or any of the below monetization models.
SVOD– Subscription Video On Demand, is generally, majorly opted by media companies as a revenue system for their platform. This model carries out the exchange of paid subscriptions for access to the entire library’s contents. The subscriptions can be made for a monthly or per annum basis, as decided by the subscriber paying. There are also varying package designs for subscription, with certain platforms.
AVOD– Advertisement Video On Demand, this model focuses on incorporating commercial advertisements at various points within a single video segment for every video streamed on the platform fostering this model of monetization. The money comes from brands paying to the platform provider for running their ads on the latter’s platform.
TVOD– Transactional Video On Demand, this model makes a monetization solution out of every transaction of a video commodity at a purchase rate. This is applicable to every video asset available on the platform. The length of the ownership lent to the purchaser may vary though, it could be a duration of time or for as long as the platform or the content exists.
PVOD– Premium Video On Demand, this could be considered as a special model exclusive to monetizing content of the premium range only. For instance, the platform can rent out box-office content or preview shows of yet-to-release movies for a special sum.
Hybrid– a mix up of whatever you see fit for your platform. Though, this model is advisable for higher-up platforms who have quite gotten hold of the market until which point they are suggested to go with one of the top three video monetization models discussed above.
How Can You Monetize Your Videos Online?
You need a video streaming cum monetization platform to get started with video monetization. Afterward, you can monetize your videos using either one or any of the below monetization models.
Streaming platforms like Netflix and Spotify use a subscription-based model. Users are given unlimited access to content libraries for a subscription fee. It creates a steady revenue stream for the platform owner and encourages customer loyalty on the user’s side.
Advertising can bring in handsome revenue for platform owners. For example, YouTube uses pre-, mid-, and post-roll ads, overlays, partner ads, and waterfalls to generate revenue. Over here, advertisers pay for exposure, and platforms earn revenue based on ad views and clicks.
This model is sometimes referred to as transactional Video on Demand. In the pay-per-view model, users pay a fee to access specific video content. Sports events, concerts, and live streams often use this model to publish exclusive premium content.
- Premium VOD
Premium Video on Demand (PVOD) refers to high-quality videos that can be viewed on a variety of platforms, such as streaming services, websites, and mobile apps. These videos are typically produced to high standards, including high resolution, video quality, and audio quality, like Dolby Atmos and 4K HDR-enabled videos.
Services like iTunes and Amazon Video offer on-demand high-definition video, allowing users to rent or buy movies soon after they are released in theaters, and producers make money.
- Coupons and Promotions
Platforms promote products or services by adding coupons and promotions to videos. Producers pay for placements, and viewers get discounts, creating a win-win situation. Examples of coupons and promotions include introductory offers, promotions for loyal customers, or discounts for new customers referred by existing customers.
- Bulk Selling of Videos
When it comes to selling video content, think of bulk sales like your favorite warehouse club deals, but for videos. Imagine getting a treasure trove of educational videos, an entire library of fitness routines, or a series of home improvement guides all in one neat package. That’s the beauty of bulk selling – it’s about offering value and variety, handpicked to suit your audience’s tastes.
Take platforms like Udemy, for example. They’ve mastered the art of bulk-selling educational content. It’s like walking into a virtual classroom with unlimited courses at your fingertips, all for one price. It’s a win-win: learners get a wealth of knowledge, and content creators enjoy a steady revenue stream.
- Catch-Up TV
Then there’s Catch-Up TV, the unsung hero for those who missed their favorite shows. TV networks have smartly monetized this by offering on-demand access to past episodes sprinkled with ads. It’s like having a time machine for your TV, and it turns those missed shows into a revenue-generating opportunity through ad impressions.
- Third-Party Ad Integrations
Speaking of ads, let’s talk about Third-Party Ad Integration. For instance, platforms like VPlayed are getting savvy by partnering with ad vendors like OpenX and Verizon Media. This move is like opening the doors to a whole new world of advertisers, expanding the monetization possibilities for platform owners.
- Server-Side Ad Insertion
And have you heard about SSAI (Server-Side Ad Insertion)? This is where the magic of seamless ad integration happens. Platforms like Hulu are using SSAI to weave ads into your streaming experience so smoothly that you’d barely even notice them. It’s all about enhancing ad targeting while keeping your viewing experience uninterrupted.
- Video Paywall
Now, let’s not forget the classic Video Paywall. The New York Times and others use it like a VIP entrance to their exclusive content. Want in? Just get a subscription, and you’re granted access to premium videos. It’s a straightforward, no-nonsense approach to content monetization.
Lastly, there’s the Hybrid Model – a bit like a Swiss Army knife for video monetization. Disney+ Hotstar exemplifies this approach. By offering both subscription plans and ad-supported viewing, they cater to different viewer preferences while maximizing their revenue from multiple angles. It’s a clever balancing act between user experience and monetization.
Recommended Read: How To Build & Grow A Subscription Video On Demand Service?
Why do you need a dedicated video monetization platform to monetize your videos?
Have you ever wondered why a dedicated video monetization platform is like a secret weapon for your videos? Here’s a no-frills, practical rundown of the same.
1. Tailored Tools for Efficient Monetization
Imagine having a Swiss Army knife for monetizing your videos. That’s what these video monetization platforms can do to your business—they come loaded with everything you need, like ad management and easy subscription handling. It’s about making monetization as smooth as streaming your favorite show.
2. Precision in Advertisement Placement
Owning a dedicated video monetization platform means you can play the game of chess with your ads. These platforms allow you to place ads in exactly the places you want them for maximum visibility. Think of ads that aren’t just seen but also engaged with – that’s the kind of strategy we’re talking about.
3. Adherence to Legal and Industry Standards
In the world of video, staying on the right side of legal and industry standards is crucial. These platforms are like your trusted legal advisor, keeping everything above board and secure. This way, you’re less likely to stumble into regulatory quicksand.
4. Data-Driven Insights Through Analytics
Data is the new gold, right? These platforms mine this gold by offering analytics that tell you what your audience loves (or doesn’t). It’s like having a crystal ball that guides your content strategy towards what works best.
5. Efficient Payment Processing
Handling money can be tricky, but not with these platforms. They process payments like a pro, ensuring every transaction, be it subscription or pay-per-view, is smooth and secure. It’s like having a financial wizard at your service.
6. Focus on Content Creation
While the video monetization platform handles the nitty-gritty of monetization, you get to focus on what you love – creating content. It’s like having an expert team handle the business side so you can stay in your creative zone without worrying about the cash flow.
7. Strategic Ad Insertion for Maximum Impact
Just like a blockbuster movie has its climactic moments, these platforms ensure ads hit the screen at just the right moment for maximum impact. It’s about making sure the ads aren’t just filler but an effective part of the viewer experience.
8. Make More Profits
At the end of the day, it’s all about profitability. With targeted advertising, efficient payment processing, and valuable insights, these platforms are like a growth accelerator for your revenue streams. It’s like putting your video monetization on steroids, ethically, of course!
Seven Top Video Monetization Platforms To Monetize Video Content Online
The best video monetization platforms in 2024 include the following VPlayed, GudSho, IBM Cloud, Brightcove, Vimeo OTT, etc.
Our expert team has reviewed these platforms.
Before proceeding, here’s the gist of the seven best video monetization platforms, to whom it is best suited, their use cases, and pricing. You can also take an in-depth look at each of them in the listicle below.
|Level: Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced
Best suited for: Production houses, independent filmmakers, edu-tech firms, religious organizations, television channels, etc.
|Level: Beginners, Intermediate
Best suited for: All kinds of video monetization — short films, standup comedies, e-learning videos, religious sermons, sports streaming, etc.
|IBM Cloud Video
|Level: Intermediate, Advanced
Best suited for: Live events streaming, Enterprise video streaming, video marketing (lead generation), live webinars, virtual online event streaming
|Starts at $129/month
Best suited for: Marketing Studio, Communications Studio, Ad Monetization, education videos, live events, e-commerce, etc.
|Custom pricing (not mentioned on the website)
|Level: Beginners, Intermediate
Best suited for: To host and share high-quality video content, particularly for creators, artists, and filmmakers.
|Starts at $20/month
(A free version is available, too)
Best suited for: Live events streaming, Broadcast live sports, Live fitness classesProduction and publishingbusinesses, Churches, and houses of worshipGovernments and municipalitiesand e-learning institutions
|Starts at $39/month
|Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Best suited for: Live streaming, IPTV solution, eLearning, online gaming, film festivals, Kids’ VOD services.
|Starts at $399/month
Alright, let’s look at seven of the best video monetization platforms to get you started with your video monetization business.
Ranks were allotted based on parameters like customization, scalability, platform reliability, security measures, etc.
Let’s see each of these platforms in detail in the section below.
A Multi-model OTT Monetization Solution
The first video monetization platform on our list is VPlayed with fully customizable video monetization solution.
But if every platform is customizable, what’s so special about VPlayed?
VPlayed has so many niche features that no other video platform in the market offers.
When we say it is customizable, we mean it is entirely customizable.
Everything from the video player, dashboard, custom skins, and themes to the CMS can be customized to suit your needs and resonate with your brand.
In addition, we hand over the platform source code after the deployment, guaranteeing you unparalleled control. It means you, and only you, own the platform; we no longer have any control over it.
he platform allows you to readily integrate with 200+ of the most common software—including marketing automation platforms like Mailchimp and CRM software like Hubspot.
But, the one feature that separates VPlayed from the crowd is our unique business model. We charge a one-time license fee for the platform. Apart from that, we charge zero — no partner earnings, no recurring monthly payments, no user fees.
You own every cent of the revenue monetized.
Some of VPlayed’s unique functionalities include
- Custom Branding Options: VPlayed is a white-label video monetization platform — you can Customize the platform’s appearance to reflect your unique brand aesthetics.
- Platform Source Code Access: Gain full control and adaptability by having complete access to the platform’s source code.
- Dedicated Content Partner Portal: Streamline content management and enhance partner collaboration efficiency with a content partner portal.
- User-Generated Content: Like YouTube, VPlayed platform owners can allow users to easily produce and share their content, a functionality that some of the top video monetization platforms lack.
- Advanced Super Admin Access: You get more comprehensive control and supervision capabilities over your platform.
- Support for Multiple Global Payment Gateways: Seamlessly handle payments from around the world with a variety of payment methods, offering greater financial adaptability.
Pro-tip: Choose VPlayed if you are new to the video monetization industry, as it offers extensive benefits and endless customizations.
A Premium Video Platform to stream monetize and sell video content
GUDSHO is your go-to solution for an effortless, efficient, and premium video monetization experience. It’s an all-encompassing platform that not only simplifies live and on-demand content monetization across various channels but does so with remarkable speed and ease. What sets GUDSHO apart is the unlimited hosting option that lets you host any number of videos of any quality as long as you want.
Imagine having access to a diverse array of content from numerous channels, all at your fingertips. GUDSHO makes this possible, broadening your horizons in video content offerings and video monetization.
lus, it’s all about personalization – you can customize the player to fit your brand’s unique style and essence.
The best part? Getting started with GUDSHO is quick, straightforward, and completely free — say goodbye to hidden fees and unexpected charges. For anyone in search of a reliable, budget-friendly video monetization platform that excels in live event streaming and offers robust video API support, GUDSHO is an excellent choice.
Important GUDSHO features include
- Quad HD Video Delivery: GUDSHO delivers crystal-clear visuals with its Quad HD video delivery, ensuring your content looks stunningly sharp and immersive.
- Advanced Video CMS: With GUDSHO’s advanced Video Content Management System, managing and organizing your video content becomes a breeze.
- Layer Security: GUDSHO takes security seriously. It offers triple-layer protection at the domain, platform, and player levels, so you can rest easy knowing your content is safeguarded at every turn.
- Simple Video CMS: GUDSHO also offers a straightforward and user-friendly Video CMS. It is perfect for hassle-free content management without the technical complexity.
Pro-tip: Monetizing on GUDSHO is highly rewarding and can be done via subscriptions (SVOD), pay-per-view (TVOD), or Donations. Creators can also earn by brand sponsorship and promoting merchandise.
3. IBM Video Streaming
A Scalable Video Streaming Monetization Platform
IBM Watson Media is a video streaming solution centered around privacy, reliability, and scalability. Its streaming service gives the convenience of an easy start and is powered by AI.
Besides, it provides its customers with an intuitive video marketing strategy to build brand awareness and improve customer retention.
You must have guessed by the name, haven’t you?
As the name suggests, IBM Cloud Video is a popular and powerful cloud video hosting platform. It provides a broad range of video monetization features for broadcasters, streaming providers, and content owners. IBM Cloud has advanced video analytics, gives access to customizable monetization models, and lets you integrate advertising capabilities.
In a way, IBM Cloud Video helps users maximize revenue from their video content. The platform supports live and on-demand video streaming. Content management is simple on the IBM platform, while its distribution and delivery are top-notch. With the kind of solution it is, IBM Cloud Video can be your one-stop solution for all your video monetization needs.
Some of the key IBM cloud video features include
- Enterprise Video Streaming: Tailored for businesses, IBM Cloud Video offers high-quality, reliable streaming for enterprise-scale audiences, like VPlayed.
- Enterprise Content Delivery Network: IBM guarantees fast, efficient global video content delivery with a scalable CDN network.
- AI-driven Deep Video Search: IBM’s AI technology enables precise, deep search within videos for quick content discovery.
- Host Events for Massive Audiences: The platform is designed to support large-scale events, reaching and engaging extensive audiences effortlessly.
- Security-Rich Video Solution: Provides robust, multi-layered security features, ensuring the utmost protection for your video content.
Pro-tip: Choose IBM video streaming if your primary concern is privacy and security.
A Globally Reliable Video Monetization Services
Brightcove is yet another brand with a great reputation in the video streaming and monetization industry. It is a video monetization platform solution that permits publishers and broadcasters to deliver, analyze, and monetize video content across 190+ countries in the world.
It gives functions that include video player customization, ad serving, target audience analytics, and revenue monitoring.
Brightcove supports both live and on-demand video streaming. It is used by companies of all sizes, from small-scale content creators to large media houses, to monetize and scale their video content operations.
Key Brightcove video monetization features include
- Offline Playback: Brightcove offers the convenience of offline playback, allowing viewers to enjoy content even without an internet connection.
- Content Marketing: The platform enhances content marketing efforts by enabling effective distribution and promotion of video content to targeted audiences.
- Live Playback: Brightcove supports live playback, offering real-time streaming capabilities for events, webinars, and live broadcasts.
- Brightcove Video Cloud: Brightcove’s comprehensive video cloud-based solution lets you turn passive viewers into active participants.
- Live Captions: The platform provides live captioning features. So you can ensure accessibility and facilitate better understanding for a diverse audience during live streams.
Pro-tip: Choose Brightcove if you want a simple, easy-to-use platform and nicely embedded HTML pages.
5. Vimeo OTT
A Long-time Provider in Online Video Monetization Industry
This name needs no introduction or overview. It’s Vimeo, after all — so let’s jump to the substance straight away.
Vimeo OTT allows creators to monetize their videos primarily via three models—advertising, sponsorship deals, and pay-per-view.
And, if you want to further play around with settings, the Vimeo Studio dashboard provides a set of tools to help users manage their video monetization settings, track revenue, and customize the viewing experience.
Apart from this, ads can be targeted based on demographics, interests, and behaviors, allowing creators to reach their desired audience. Additionally, Vimeo offers video analytics to help creators understand their viewership patterns and optimize their monetization strategies.
Some of the Highlights of Vimeo OTT:
- Add New Videos and Metadata: Vimeo enables quick and easy addition of new videos and metadata in a few seconds.
- Customize Website, Apps, and Checkout Page: Offers extensive customization options for your website, apps, and checkout pages to align with your brand identity.
- Own Customer Data in One Central Dashboard: Vimeo OTT’s centralized customer data in a single dashboard offers a comprehensive view of customer interactions and preferences.
- Track Analytics Including Subscriber Growth and Churn: Provides detailed analytics tools to monitor key metrics like subscriber growth and churn.
- Offer Custom Apps Matching Brand Aesthetics: Allows the creation of custom applications that mirror your brand’s look and feel, enhancing brand consistency and user experience.
Pro-tip: Choose Vimeo OTT over other things if you prioritize high-quality live streaming over other things
A Leading Video Monetization Specialist
Dacast is a video hosting and monetization platform that allows users to post and monetize high-quality videos. It offers features like customizable video players, billing and subscription-based pricing, and analytics and reporting tools.
The platform also integrates with various third-party services, such as YouTube and Vimeo, to help users reach larger audiences. With a simple and user-friendly interface, Dacast is a great choice for video creators, educators, and professionals who want to monetize their video content.
Some of the Highlights of Dacast
- Standard Monetization Options: Dacast gives standard monetization models subscriptions, ads, and TVOD for flexible and sustainable revenue generation.
- 24/7 Tech Support: Dacast ensures uninterrupted service with dedicated 24/7 technical support for any issues that arise.
- Embeddable HTML5 Player: With Dacast, you get an embeddable HTML5 player for smooth integration and consistent playback across devices.
- Advanced Analytics: Dacast gives detailed analytics for in-depth insights into viewer engagement and video performance.
- Geographic and Domain Restrictions: This feature enables domain restrictions for targeted content control and enhanced security.
Pro-tip: Choose Dacast if you prioritize ease of use and customer service over other things.
An Enterprise OTT Platform Monetization Formula
Muvi is a leading online streaming solution provider to host, publish, and manage video and audio files. Muvi’s idea is simple — it lets users launch their streaming service using the Muvi streaming engine.
The platform caters to almost everyone who wants to manage, stream, and distribute their videos to a larger audience and profit from it. Like VPlayed, Muvi supports a plethora of monetization models — subscriptions, advertisements, pay-per-view, coupons, and discounts, merchandise support to name a few.
Muvi supports building custom websites, TV, and mobile apps.
Like Uscreen and Vimeo, Muvi uses a Software as a Service (SaaS) model. It charges monthly payments to keep your business running and user charges.
So, who is Muvi suited for?
Muvi is the best bid for someone looking to build a long-term, sustainable streaming business and not just for the ones looking to make quick bucks.
Some key Muvi features include
- High-Quality Streaming and Monetization: High-quality live streaming, hosting, and video content monetization.
- Cross-platform Streaming Support: Universal streaming capability across various platforms for maximum reach.
- Device Support: Muvi’s solution is compatible with multiple devices, including mobile, TV apps, Apple News, and gaming consoles.
- Social Media: Centralized scheduling for social media posts and video aggregator submissions.
Pro-tip: Maz system’s specialty is bringing any media format (audio, video, or publication) to the app version. So, choose Maz if you prioritize the same.
Finally, we come to the end of an elaborate discussion on video monetization.
This article helps you understand the basics of the video monetization industry and provides valuable insights on various monetization platforms.
Still, have queries? No worries.
Let’s talk and get them clarified over a quick demo.
If you are looking for readily launching an OTT monetization platform then look into VPlayed right away.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Video monetization refers to earning money from videos you create and share online. It involves utilizing online video streaming platforms or other streaming services to generate revenue through various methods, such as advertisements, sponsorships, subscriptions, etc.
There are several ways to monetize videos online. Advertising, subscriptions, pay-per-view, and sponsored ads are among the most popular options. Create valuable, high-quality content and gain a user base.
To choose the best video monetization platform for your business, consider the following: Figure out your target audience. Look for platforms with robust monetization features. Consider factors as audience reach, revenue-sharing structures, etc. Lastly, compare platforms like VPlayed, Vimeo, and Uscreen, and evaluate their suitability for your business objectives and content type.
The types of revenue models available in video monetization are advertising, subscriptions, sponsorships, pay-per-view or rentals, licensing, merchandise sales, crowdfunding, etc.
Here are the benefits of using a video monetization platform:
Earning money from your videos.
Reaching a larger audience.
Access to various monetization tools.
Insights about your audience and revenue.
High possibilities for worthy collaboration.
Streamlined management processes,
Dedicated support from the platform itself.